Making Gumtree safe for buyers and sellersFriday 25 May 2012, by The Media Team
We want every single one of you to have a safe and successful visit to Gumtree, whether you are buying or selling, searching or advertising, and we do loads to keep you protected – including stuff you might not even know about. To give you that extra bit of confidence here are a few examples, and if you have any questions, simply get in touch with us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- We have super-smart automated technology to detect and prevent suspicious activity from going live on the site. This system is updated and fine-tuned every day to help keep the site as clean and tidy as possible!
- We have a dedicated safety team working 24/7 and 365 days a year (yep, even at Christmas) to respond to your reports and questions. We aim to handle all reports of suspicious or illegal activity within just a few hours. If we identify a safety risk, we’ll make sure that offenders are prevented from using the site again.
- We keep your email address anonymous on the ads that you post, to protect you receiving any email spam.
- We work closely with the police and other law enforcement agencies to support successful prosecutions of anybody caught engaging in fraudulent activity on site.
- Gumtree is a local community site, and we urge everyone to meet in person whenever possible. Offers that look ‘too good to be true’ often are, especially if the item needs to be shipped. You can see our top scam warning signs here and read loads more safety advice here
Finally, if there are any emails you have received or ads you are suspicious of, please let us know and we will personally investigate them for you. Email us on email@example.com – anytime!